Saturday, September 24, 2011

Module 2: Elements of Distance Education Diffusion



The increasing popularity of distance learning can be attributed to the evolving technologies that enrich our everyday lives. Having spent most of my adult life with family located on two continents 6,000 miles away, the evolution technologies that enhanced communication allowed me to move from letters and telephone calls to email, instant messaging, and video calls. As these technologies have become diffused in society, they have also gone from being very expensive to cheap or almost free. I can afford to make them an everyday staple in my daily life. I agree with Siemens' (Laureate Education, 2008) assertion that because this technology has given me practical experience in my personal life, I have gained enough confidence and comfort to embed it into my educational/professional life. In the distance learning arena we have now moved away from the model that Simonson described as “self-study at a distance,” (Laureate Education, 2008) which is designed for the learner to consume material independently much like the correspondence courses of years ago. The new model of distance learning allows the learner to not only consume, but also interact with content. Interactions with classmates and the instructor can also take place without the constraints of time and place. Learning can happen anywhere, at anytime and technology is the vehicle that helps it happen.

Here are some of the communication technologies that I use in my personal and professional life that are also technologies that are engaging and can easily be utilized in an online learning environment:

Skype: Has both chat and videoconference capabilities that could be utilized in an online classroom. For example, I have presented a project to my classmates using Skype to video chat and to share my screen while presenting.

Eyejot: Compose a quick (60 seconds or less) video email.

Voicethread: Create a discussion around a presentation, adding voice and/or written comments about the content presented.

Voki: Create a speaking avatar that can communicate information that can be embedded in a website or wiki or emailed.

AOL Instant Messenger (AIM): Allows instant communication of messages which can be transmitted via computer, Smart Phone, or iPad. This could help connect learners to the instructor, each other or a librarian even when they are not signed into the course.

Blogs: Utilize a blog (just like we are doing here) to post written ideas that are enhanced by images, embedded video and URL links that provide further information and connect ideas and thoughts with others.

Twitter: Send short messages that could be used to ask and answer questions. Share information that can be enhanced by images and links to videos, articles and other URLs. This could be an ideal way to share ideas and brainstorm with classmates.

Google Reader: Using this web-based aggregator allows me to keep up with websites, blogs, and other sources that continually post news, information and updates. I am able to save a great deal of time visiting this one site which brings in all of the subscriptions that I want to keep up with. I have found this a helpful way to use in online classes when trying to keep up with blog postings of my classmates.

All-in-One Messenger: Aggregates all of my IM accounts like Facebook, Twitter, Google, Yahoo, and Skype so that they are all within one application. This could streamline the communication in a class. It wouldn’t be necessary to be signed into the online class to receive communications from the instructor or classmates.

Second Life: I have done some exploration of this virtual world, which seems like a logical and engaging path for online education.

References

Laureate Education, Inc. (2008). Principles of Distance Education. Baltimore: Author.

3 comments:

valerie.mitchell-stevens said...

This blog was very interesting in that the technology listed has evolved also. It seems almost over whelming at first but I feel that a subset of new technology should be tested and merged into the curriculum of distance learning.
Val

Cathy Marziali said...

Yes, it is overwhelming...especially for those of us who are digital immigrants. I think that it would have been fascinating if Walden would have required that we have at least part of our class conducted within Second Life. I don't have time to go in there and play, but if the class required it, I could use it in context. What do you think about using Second Life in that way.

eductechnology said...

Cathy,
There are so many ways to interact with others for the purposes of distance education. The possibilies are almose endless and still growing. This is very similar to my topic of collaboration online. Everything has gone from face to face talking or chatting on the phone to interacting on the computer in various forms. The latter still exist they just don't seem to be the top choices anymore.